DIY Pavilions: Models, Basic Steps, & Benefits
There’s a lot to love about backyard pavilions — the full shade protection, the elegant style, and the fact that you can build one on your own. Our DIY pavilions allow savvy homeowners to build a gorgeous luxury structure in their backyard — and save big while doing it. Discover our models and learn what you need to have to build one.
At The Backyard Showcase, we’re a builder of luxury outdoor structures including pavilions, pergolas, gazebos, and more. While we are happy to build any of our structures for you, more and more homeowners are choosing to handle the installation themselves. Our pavilion kits come with detailed plans and all the materials you need. See just how affordable bringing home one of our kits is!
Check out these real DIY pavilion models and average prices.
- Pressure-Treated Lumber: Around $5,500
- Vinyl: Around $6,800
- Cedar: Around $7,000
If one of these do-it-yourself pavilions is the perfect match for your deck or patio, place your order right now! Or if you want to learn more about how to build a pavilion, what you need, and what some of the benefits are, keep reading!Bring Your Pavilion Home
Building a Pavilion: What You Need
If you’re handy around the house and you have an equally skilled friend or set of friends to help you, a DIY pavilion is a project you can very likely handle. When it comes to the specifics of building a pavilion, we provide step by step instructions with every kit. These instructions include detailed pictures of every step of the process.
These are the tools you need to complete the project:
- Screw Gun/Drill
- Tape Measure
- C Clamps
- Socket Set
- Circular Saw
- An air-nailer or stapler (can be used for installing rubber or asphalt shingles)
While your experience with construction and the size of the pavilion kit will both determine how long it’ll take to build your new structure, we advise that you set aside at least two full weekend days to complete the project carefully. Some of our larger or highly ornamental designs will have more steps and take longer to build.
One other thing you need to know before building a pavilion: make sure you find out from your local municipality, township, or city if a building permit is required for this project. Whether this is required depends on the local ordinances where you live, and oftentimes, where on your property you’re building it.
Benefits of Building Your Own Pavilion
It’s true that there are some homeowners who would never dream of attempting this on their own. However, if you’re willing to try building a pavilion on your own, there are several key advantages that you’ll enjoy:
- Save the Labor Cost — This is the primary reason for homeowners building their own pavilion. By just paying for the plans and materials, you save an enormous amount of money on the labor cost. Depending on your project, you may end up saving nearly half the typical cost by tackling the labor on your own!
- Get Your Pavilion Sooner — We’re proud to say The Backyard Showcase is an in-demand company to work with. Both our structures themselves and our installation teams almost always have a long waiting list. However, by being able to handle the labor on your own, you can get your pavilion sooner since you don’t need to wait for our expert installers to be available.
- Perfect Your Skills — If you’re an amateur DIY enthusiast, learning how to build a pavilion is the perfect way to sharpen your skills. When you build one of our kits, you have easy to follow step-by-step instructions that show you everything you need to do. You can learn to build exactly like our team of professional installers and apply these same principles to your next home project.
Bring Home One of Our DIY Pavilions
Building a pavilion on your own is a great project for almost any time of the year. If you’re ready to get started, we’d love to work with you. The first step is a conversation with our outdoor designers. We’re able to help you find the style that perfectly fits your backyard or create the custom touches that make you love it even more. On top of that, if you have questions about building your own pavilion, we’re more than happy to talk to you all about what your project entails.
Reach out right now to learn more — or place your DIY pavilion order now!